Hi

Hi, Thanks for dropping by.

My name is Eileen but to friends in the card making world I'm known as 'ikki'. (which is pronounced I-KEY) From where or how this came about I'm not sure - it just got shorten from my original craft name of Ikemo by various friends along my crafting way! I started crafting whilst recouperating from an accident, and from my first attempts with peeloffs and paint - I was hooked! Now my passion is my BUG! and now BEADING!

In the Cupboard you will find ideas, news, tips and techniques to help you get more from this fab little machine. So come in - join the fun and Cuttle with me!


Monday 7 March 2011

Top Tip - embossing with a stylus pen

Time restraints means that today I do not have the time to do my usual tutorial, BUT since I have many new readers I'm refering back to .........20th April 2009 and a tip that I consider to be my best of 2009.  It's one that you may have missed and I want you to know about it because it's soooooo useful!

Does the embossed edge on this illustration look the same? 

 One is done using the tan mat - the other with an embossing stylus. 
 
I often use this method of embossing the edge of a cut die - it's quick; it's just as effective; it will work on most shapes and if you haven't got a tan mat you will no doubt have a embossing pen. If you would like to see the full tutorial check out this link.

Have you ever visited this site:
http://melstampz.blogspot.com/2008/03/ive-been-bitten.html  there are over 200 ways listed on using your Bug (or any other die cutting machine), and I very proud that that some of my tips are on there including this one. 

Have a good day.

5 comments:

Aquarius said...

Thanks for the reminder about this tip and for the link which I'm off to visit.

mamapez5 said...

My first attempt to comment has disappeared so I will try again. I was hoping to read your tutorial on embossing but the link does not work. It takes me to the home blogger page for creating a new blog.I never really mastered good embossing with a sylus and am interested to see what you say. Kate x

Lynne K said...

It's a great tip! I've been doing it for quite some time now, and find that the results using a stylus are as good as, if not better than, embossing with the tan mat. I think the secret is to use the right size stylus - too large and you won't get the best detail, too small and you risk tearing your paper. Trial and error will find you the best one with regard to the size and amount of pressure needed. I also find it quicker in many cases (eg. if I only want to emboss a single piece at a time) than setting up the 'bug again with the mat and shims.

Kraftychick said...

Like MamaPez5, I tried the link and got the "blogger" screen - could you check this? I would really like to see your tutorial!
Thanks so much,
Jackie

mamapez5 said...

Thanks for fixing it Ikki. It works fine now, and it was a very interesting tutorial. I shall have a go. Kate x