Hi

Hi, Thanks for dropping by.

My name is Eileen but to friends in the card making world I'm known as 'ikki'. (which is pronounced I-KEY) From where or how this came about I'm not sure - it just got shorten from my original craft name of Ikemo by various friends along my crafting way! I started crafting whilst recouperating from an accident, and from my first attempts with peeloffs and paint - I was hooked! Now my passion is my BUG! and now BEADING!

In the Cupboard you will find ideas, news, tips and techniques to help you get more from this fab little machine. So come in - join the fun and Cuttle with me!


Saturday 31 January 2009

Cuttlebug Tutorial - How to use border folders with your Bug

This is my first attempt at illustrating how I use my Cuttlebug. Please bear with me, I hopefully will improve with practice.

Firstly, I feel that I must state that I'm not saying that my way is the correct and only way, it is just my way and it works for me and hopefully will work for you so you too grow to love your bug and find out just how versatile it is.


Using your Border Folders

I'm going to start with how I use borders folders on cards. This was always a problem for me because I kept getting the lines of the folder on the card, which I did not like. I know from the mail I have received that many other peeps have and are experience this. So, after many trys I came up with this method that I find works every time, (perhaps I shouldn't say this because there is always going to be "that" time when it doesn't, but usually it does.


1. Making a template of your folder

The templete as you will see is slightly smaller than the folder so that pressure is only put on the pattern and not on the edges, which is why you sometimes get lines on your cards. The template is made of thick card, taped together to make a thickness that resembles the thickness of the B plate. It's a bit time consuming, but once made can be saved and used again as you will soon see. PLEASE, take care here, keep testing, better to start thin and build up - if you make it too thick it could break your beloved machine.





Once you have the template you are ready to start embossing.

2. The equipment that I used:

A Plate, B Plate, Cardstock, Frills Border Folder, and the template which replaces the 2nd B Plate




The template replaces the need for the 2nd B Plate. You will also notice that I'm embossing straight onto my cardstock. But, you can emboss on a piece of card and then add this to your card. I always try to emboss with the back of the card NOT wrapped round the folder. I feed this part through the CB first. I think you will see the blue card on the picture. The reason I do this is twofold. It helps to avoid creasing on the card, and also I feel looks better, but this is just a personal thing!

3. Here is the finished card
You will see that I have added a second border, using the same method


These are a few samples of cards made with the fancy corner folders - the template method works just the same.





I hope you find this tutorial helpful. Please leave me a comment on your views it will be very helpful to me in making future ones.

Now are you ready to make a card using this method - go on try it out - I challenge you.

If you are a Docraft member, you will need leave a message under Anonymous, but please when you sign your name also add DC then I will know you.

Thanks for dropping by, back soon.

31 comments:

Chrissie said...

This is a STUNNING Blog Ikki!
Thank you SO much for sharing your expertise with us all.
You really are the Cuttlebug Queen!
This card is just magic!
With lots of luck for your new venture... not that you'll need it.

Wonderful!
Chrissie

Heather said...

Came over before - should have left a comment, brilliant idea Eileen. Love what you're doing.
Have Emailed you.
hugs Heather xx

Unknown said...

Love the new blog, love CB folders although I use a bigshot. will be back
Good luck
Sue dc

Anonymous said...

Great blog and a great idea!
i'm sure i will be using this alot!
thanks for sharing all your tips and ideas. x DC big bird

Chrissie said...

I have a question now about the card that you made with the corner embossing folders! Did you use the same "template" technique to emboss the folder each time? I haven't tried it yet, but each emboss is so crisp, and hasn't been flattened by subsequent embossings, (if you know what I mean). It's really very, very clever!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great tips, very helpful and easy to understand,
Much appreciated

flowergirl DC

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I found this blog off DC and thought I'd look you up as I got a CB for Christmas, and although I've used it, it's still a bit of an expensive toy. I do however love challenges, and gaining ideas from fellow crafters, so this is FANTASTIC, thank you so much for creating this blog. I'll definately be back.

Janice x DC

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to do this Ikkie, it's such a help, and look forward to the next blog.
KatieLou DC

nnalorac said...

Really admired your card when I seen it on docrafts, thanks for sharing your tips and look forward to more. nnalorac dc

Anonymous said...

Well done on the blog it is great. Looking forward to being a regular reader. Thanks for the idea of using the corner folders in this way, wouldnt have thought of that one although I did adopt this method with the border bars. The cuttlebug is my passion too since I got it in August for my birthday.
Julie Mae (DC member)

gillyflower said...

what a great idea
i love my CB too
just found your blog on DC so hope to pop in now and again to see what you are up to
gill

Anonymous said...

thank you for your tips, I love my CB too.
Chrissydurr (DC)

Anonymous said...

McAree

love your site, the info is really usefull Thanks. Your cards are beautiful

Rena

Anonymous said...

Great Blog and great ideals for these folders
thank you for sharing these tips, please
give us few more many thanks sue x
from DC

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great tips l will be using your
tips, thanks for sharing

from a DC

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the help I haven't used a border yet but know I know how.

wonderful!

Debz DC

Anonymous said...

Love the blog this is great I love my bug and just bought my first embossing folder will try it now that you have put this tutorial up. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Take care Bernie xx DC member Lovecrafting.

Anonymous said...

well, i've had a peek in the cupboard - what a fabulous idea. thank you. i promise to have a go bwefore the weekend and keep the key handy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this - I haven't got any border folders yet but I've been looking & now know what to do.

Tracey DC

Andrea, said...

Gorgeous card Eileen and a fab tutorial. TFS

Heather said...

Hi Eileen - me again - I've left you something on my blog.
Huggles Heather xx

Anonymous said...

I have a cuttlebug which I haven't had very long .Can I ask what the white spacer plate is please.DC JE Cards

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Fantastic tips! I would have never thought to use a template like that. Brilliant! I hope it's ok if I link you up? Thanks for the great inspiration! :O)

Anonymous said...

Fab blog, love the tutorials, my Bug is gonna be sooo busy. Thank you for sharing your work and ideas.Angela.x

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Blog, your cards are an inspiration.
Thank you for all your wonderful tutorials.
Betty

craftynan4times said...

Wow you do lot's of stunning things with your C/F you are so talented. It is brilliant that you have shared it with us all and I do hope to do some of them myself soon. Thank you for sharing. hugs Chris x DC

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blogspot on DC
loved the information you gave everyone your are so kind to do this. Keep the good work up and as and as "Big Arnie" the film actor says "I'll be back"

Amelia

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have 3 sets of the borders embossing folders, have been put off using them because of edges left. Thankyou very much for your tutorial, will get them out again and start using them, you have a wonderful site will be visiting again.

Aussie Vic DC

chrissy xx said...

Great!! LOve it. Your cards are Stunning.
Chrissyxx

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

Tomorrow is set to be my first crafting day in 2011, so I am going to have a go at one of these fantastic border ideas. They look so simple, but I bet mine will not look as good as yours. Thank you for being so generous with your ideas and help.

Wendy L said...

I am adding this to my favs - very useful - thanks

dc member wlt27
Wendy L