Hi

Hi, Thanks for dropping by.

My name is Eileen but to friends in the card making world I'm known as 'ikki'. (which is pronounced I-KEY) From where or how this came about I'm not sure - it just got shorten from my original craft name of Ikemo by various friends along my crafting way! I started crafting whilst recouperating from an accident, and from my first attempts with peeloffs and paint - I was hooked! Now my passion is my BUG! and now BEADING!

In the Cupboard you will find ideas, news, tips and techniques to help you get more from this fab little machine. So come in - join the fun and Cuttle with me!


Monday 28 February 2011

Less is more challenge - Week 4 - Squares

I have just had a lovely, but very busy three days with my daughter and two granddaughters.  Caitlin and Megan just love getting their hands on my crafting stamps and inks, so no crafting for me!  Hence, a little later than usual for the LIM challenge which this week asks for 3 squares.    Now squares are a fav of mine, but just what to do with them????  Looking for something a bit different I decided to do this.....


I've used a technique called masking to create an illusion of depth and inked straight onto my card. 
 
First fold a sheet of A4 copypaper into 4, then cut with a Nestie Square size 3 (l being the smallest) to make a template.
   
You can play with the cutout shapes to decide on the best pattern

Leave the first cutout in place

Cover with the template and slide the sticky edge of a post-it under each side lining up to the square

When you remove the template you have your square ready to colour.  I used distress inks starting with dark at the bottom and working lighter.

When the first square is completed, cover with one of the square cutouts and repeat the process to complete squares 2 and 3.

    
 I used one of the stamps from the Elusive Image theme plate called Essennce of Nature (UA4SP0339.
By varing the shades of ink you can see all three squares -
masking the ikki way - easy, effective, and perhaps worth a try?
Later today I will show you some other examples of this technique.


32 comments:

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Quite simply brilliant Ikki! So wondrously effective very clever use of three squares .. you did think outside the box, didn't you?(argh, sorry very bad pun that!) I really love the colours too.
Love Shaz in Oz.x

Suzi B said...

Lovely, lovely card. Thaks for showing us how!
Sue x

Chrissie said...

Great card Eileen and a super tut!
I love the variance of colour within the squares.
Congrats on last week's ShowCASing!
It's great to have you as part of our LIM community!See you next time,
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Viv said...

I like using post it notes for masking too! You've made a great job of this card and the textured card adds depth and interest. Lovely!

TAM said...

Fabulous card complete with instructions - must have a go at this sometime in the near future

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

What a WOW card, I love the dimension, thanks for the tutorial, it may even make me take up stamping

Mandi said...

I love this Ikki, perfect!
Thanks for the tut
You so deserved making our showCASe last week
Thank you as always
mandi
"Less is More"

Fiona said...

Great masking and stamping on hammered card-not always easy.

Alex said...

Lovely card, Eileen! I love that technique and use it sometimes, post it notes are just the best! :-)
I have something for you on my blog if you want it...
Love, Alex

Aquarius said...

I've already left you a comment on the Design Team blog - thanks for sharing your masking technique here though. Will have to give it a try your way

Kathyk said...

Smashing and how handy are post its? What did we do before they were invented!

Kathyk

Sue said...

Great card, great tutorial, thank you.

Sue said...

Hi Ikki,
Where would we be with out post-it-notes. Love your card. And a great little tutorial.

Stamps and Paper said...

A stunning card Ikki and thank you for showing us your technique.

Anne

Sarah said...

lovely shading and a wealth of passion and knowledge as always - thanks!

Sarah

Deborah Frings said...

I like the way you've lined up the square - I spend ages trying to sort that out! Your card is lovely - the colours are soft and subtle and I adore the stamp!!

Lynne said...

This is stunning. The squares are brilliant and that stamp is fantastic. Another one that I need...
Lynne xxx

kingstonmama said...

This is so lovely! I tend to think very linear, as with the masked and sponged squares I did, but I absolutely love this! The placement of the squares echoes the shape of the image. Perfection! I also really like the textured paper you used. Beautiful card, and thanks for your comment.

Christine B. said...

A stunning card, just love how you've thought outside the box.I've never tried that techneque, I must remember it to have a go. Thanks for sharing. Hugs x ChrisB

Lynne K said...

Beautiful card! Gorgeous colours, and perfect composition. The textured card really adds to the visual effect. One of my favourites so far from this week's entries. Thanks for the tutorial - very helpful. x

Sally H said...

Ooh, those colours are so beautiful and I love that stamps too! A great tutorial -thanks. Congratulations on being Showcased last week, too!

Susan said...

ikki...fabulous card! I love the sponging...and that image is the perfect size!! Fabulous!

Suze Bain said...

Beautiful card ikki. The image and colours are gorgeous and thanks for the tuturial - all I need to do is add some square nesties to my shopping list!

Anonymous said...

Great card thank you for the tutorial i will have a go at that

Vicky Hayes said...

This is such a great technique and makes a beautiful background. I love the way you stamped the delicate plant image in black over the top.

Jose said...

Great card Ikki, I havent got any distress inks but thinking I ought to get some, loved your take on 3 squares,
Jose

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful card and ingenuous the way you've used a stamp that goes through all three squares. Thanks for the tutorial - very helpful. Elizabeth x

Stempelomi said...

wow, what a great card! I love it!

Aileen said...

Wow. Love your squares and the image stamped on top.

I have just commented on another blog that I'd like to try this out but wasn't sure how you got your boxes and now I know. Thanks x

Von said...

Beautiful !
Von x

joanne wardle said...

gorgeous, very similar idea to what I did, but I love how you angled your squares

Auntie Em said...

What a pretty card! I love the simplicity of the design and how easily it could be adapted for so many occasions.
Thank you for sharing this great technique! :)