Hi

Hi, Thanks for dropping by.

My name is Eileen but to friends in the card making world I'm known as 'ikki'. (which is pronounced I-KEY) From where or how this came about I'm not sure - it just got shorten from my original craft name of Ikemo by various friends along my crafting way! I started crafting whilst recouperating from an accident, and from my first attempts with peeloffs and paint - I was hooked! Now my passion is my BUG! and now BEADING!

In the Cupboard you will find ideas, news, tips and techniques to help you get more from this fab little machine. So come in - join the fun and Cuttle with me!


Tuesday 28 December 2010

Ideas for using Border Embossing Folders and Dies


In your Cuttlebug, or any other die cutting/embossing machine, there are two ways of making a border - embossing and die cutting.

Embossed Borders.

You can achieve an embossed border on your artwork with a large or small embossing folder, or a border embossing folder.

Folders are available from many stockists and the main manufacturers are:
Provocraft - Cuttlebug
Crafts2U
Sixxiz
Creative Expressions
Crafty Concept 4.25" x 5.75"
Docraft -  Textured Fades Embossing Folders emboss  select areas appear perfectly faded and distressed. 
NB: I have not tried Crafty Concept or Docraft folders  - but told they work


How to use border folders successfully:  try this link it will answer all your questions.

If you do not have any border folders, you can still create a border by using a large or small embossing folder and then complete the pattern by scoring a line(s) on your scoreboard.
either top and bottom or centre!  Link for the centre panel

or by using a small folder and embossing the pattern a number of times
You will also find examples of other embossed borders by checking out the sidebar "Embossed Borders Folders" or "Borders".

When you need a simple card for a difficult occasion, borders will help you achieve a stylish look without going over the top!



Border Dies

Spellbinders border dies that match their Pendant Dies are called Borderabilities.  There are also border dies called Pierceabilities.  Both types are sold in packs of 2.  One makes a border by cutting on both sides, the other only cuts on one side  so it can be used for cutting a fancy edge, or an extended border.  The borders can also be embossed using a tan mat.  You will find the sandwich for this in the "Glossary".

 This is a "Spades Borderabilitie" double edged die - cut once 

on this card I cut  the die twice, embossed both, then interchanged the cut out bits - this link will take you to the full tutorial

  This is the other Spades die in the set.   I have used it to create an embossed fold back edge.


This is a Pierceabilitie die, used to edge a card and then embossed and pierced.

Using just the edge
Using the die to make an extended border and fancy edge
Using the die for layering

and lastly a combination of an  border embossing folder and a pierceabilitie border die
This is a Joy Craft border die - useful for embellishing a border!
and another border from Joy Craft coloured with Perfect Pearls


You will find  the tutorials relating to these illustrations by visiting the "Border" sections on the sidebar. I find that the border folders and dies are often purchased, but little used which is a pity because they are soooo useful!  I hope I have given you some inspiration on how you can use them.

Back tomorrow with ....????


3 comments:

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

Hi Ikkie, I am intrigued to know how you created the polka dot design right across the centre of your card. I understand the ones at the top and bottom and the clever way of scoring to complete the design, but I cannot work out how to just emboss the centre. Your use of the folder is so clever and effective. Hope you had a good Christmas with lots of goodies to play with.

Debbie said...

Hi Ikki. Many thanks, you've prompted me to get my cuttlebug out of the cupboard and clear some space on my worktop and tomorrow I'll have a play.
Debbie M

shamela said...

Hi ikki. I tried 2sign up to receive email updates, but it says it's been deactivated just wondering if u knew would luv to know when u post
Regards
Shamela