Hi

Hi, Thanks for dropping by.

My name is Eileen but to friends in the card making world I'm known as 'ikki'. (which is pronounced I-KEY) From where or how this came about I'm not sure - it just got shorten from my original craft name of Ikemo by various friends along my crafting way! I started crafting whilst recouperating from an accident, and from my first attempts with peeloffs and paint - I was hooked! Now my passion is my BUG! and now BEADING!

In the Cupboard you will find ideas, news, tips and techniques to help you get more from this fab little machine. So come in - join the fun and Cuttle with me!


Thursday 9 December 2010

New Machines - Calibur and Cuttlebug and Joy Trouvaille

Tomorrow, Friday 10th, Create and Craft will be launching their pick of the week and it's the new Calibur from Spellbinders.  I will not be able to watch, which is a pity because I'm unsure of this machine. It looks good, lovely colour - difficult to lose when your craftroom is in a mess, and the plates are A4 size allowing cutting of bigger dies, but (probably because I have a slight problem with my right hand)  I cannot see that it will be easy to hold 3 plates in one hand and turn the handle with the other,  since there is no platform on which to rest the A4 plates.  I will be interested to see how this works.

The news from Provocraft is of a new Bug.   They have done the limited edition colours of Pink and Blue and now they are back to Green, which to me is the best colour for a Bug.  Unfortunately, although they have modernised the style - the aperture size is the same .  I was hoping for a BIG BROTHER BUG! 

I'm tempted with the Joy Trouvaille which is A4 size, unfortunately a plain looking machine, but info I have is that it works well, and with the benefit of storage inside the machine for the plates.  Does anyone owe this machine?

 Thanks for dropping by,

6 comments:

PeeJay said...

I've no experience of any of these machines but I've seen the Youtube vids of the Joy Trouvaille and can't see anywhere for plate storage. It does have the benefit of a platform though, even if it isn't as aesthetically pleasing - lol!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd7R-b0wLDM&feature=related
I just wish there was a bigger one, on a similar style, that took all die thicknesses (including Sizzix) as that would be much more beneficial.

Christine said...

Thanks for this useful info Ikki on A4 machines..nice to get know as mach as poss.

smiles Christine xx

CAROLE said...

I recently purchased the Joy Trouvaille and recommend it to everyone I meet. The first time I thought nothing was happening when I turned the handle because there is so little effort required and also because the plates are so big they travel through more gradually. I have a Cuttlebug which I love and still use especially for the large Sizzix dies cos they won't go through the Joy. Also a Wizard which I hate. Hopefully, Santa will be good to you!! I got my Joy Trouvaile from Once upon a Stamp. BTW love your blog and all your creations.

pam said...

hi, first visit to your blog,
i use a big shot, (LOVE A PRO)like you thinking of a calibur - joy trouvaille, for A4 cutting.
someone told me to-day that people had broken there joy trouvaille machines, using embossing folders as there is no embossing plate in the early ones, think they are going to surply embossing plates to use, hope this helps pam

Jess's Crafty Things said...

Hello Eileen, I am not sure about the excalibur one either, with it having no platform, and I like the idea of the new larger nesties so I am seriously thinking of the big shot pro now!

PaulineC said...

I have just got the Grand Calibur today. It was supposed to be a Christmas present but it was delayed because of the snow. I think that it is fantastic! The new dies are of course very expensive but I love the ones that I have bought.
However by far the best thing is that you can cut so much at once. When using the smaller dies you can get loads onto the A4 plate at the same time. The lack of a platform is no obsticle as there is a small pull out one. The machine is held down really well by the suction plate. You seem to be turning the handle for ages but it is well worth it when you find so much done in one pass. You do not then need to disturb the dies, just pick off the cutting plate carefully pop the embossing mat and the embossing plate over and run through again. A couple of times I found that they had become misaligned, but when I stopped the piece of card moving, by slipping my fingers onto the edge of the sheet of card and leaving it all in place, it didn't happen again.There is also hardly any waste card as you can pop lots of little dies around the edges.

I absolutely love it and I can use my old machine for cutting thicker dies.